



In the fall of 2005 Carla decided to see what really went on in Deer Camp..............On day one we didn't see very much. On day two we walked right into a heard of Elk. They are beautiful, but huge!! While driving back to camp in the truck, we saw two bucks eating on the side of the road. We stopped and got out. C.J. and Kim got their deer. It was close to dark and we had to quickly clean them. We hung them in camp and went to bed.
On day three we got up before the sun again. It was not easy. But the thought of seeing another heard of Elk like we did the day before was inviting. Later in the morning C.J. and I were walking on a ridge. He was about 20 feet to my right and a bit in front of me. He was wispering to me about the two does just ahead of us and behind some trees. While looking at him I saw movement behind his head. There was a buck! I pointed and mouthed the words "Behind you!" He looked, turned back and ran to me. He proped me up againts a tree and told me to pick my shot. I was watching the buck as he turned and walked parallel to us. C.J. wistled and the buck stoped to look in our direction. I poined at my spot, breathed in, let it half way out and shot.
I was using a muzzle loader so a lot of smoke came out. Unfortunatly I forgot about the smoke and took a big breath in after I shot. So while I was coughing, C.J. watched witch way the deer went. Then C.J. tried to re-load my gun. He was shaking so much I took it from him and did it.
The deer didn't go very far. We started walking and spooked him out of where he had stopped. So we sat down to wait. After a lifetime, or an hour, however you want to say it, we went to look for him. He unfortunately dropped off of a nice steep hill and died there. I discovered I had forgotten my camera and am still sad to this day about that. I CLEANED OUT THE DEER MYSELF. Yes folks, the whole dirty deed. Well, I'd never done it before so C.J. did help. He was so proud. So was I.
Deer are still very heavy even after you take out all the insides. We drug him up and out of the canyon to the truck. It took a while. He turned out to be a 4x6. That is 4 horns on one side and 6 on the other. C.J.s was a 2x2. Some people have teased him about his wife getting a bigger deer than him. He just smiles and says that makes him even happier. I however think I will never go hunting again. I got a 4x6 my first year! How can I top that!?
No comments:
Post a Comment